"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
18 comments:
Anonymous
said...
The lesson proved to be successful, as my student successfully printed out the worksheet from the webquest. I began my lesson by first very briefly introducing the webquest and then verbally reading the steps with my student. Then I demonstrated the steps visually. Finally, I watched as my student performed the task. In a real classroom, I would not present my lesson one on one at a single computer but would probably present the lesson on a classroom projector so the entire class can see at once. After the initial instruction has been completed, I would then circulate around the computer lab making sure that all the students have successfully printed the worksheet and providing any additional assistance as necessary.
The handout I prepared with step-by-step instructions on how to save and open a hyperlink as a Microsoft Word file proved to be helpful for the learner. I will continue to provide this handout to students in my classroom, and encourage them to keep the handout so that they may refer back to it as needed. For next time, I will make sure that the browser students are using is the one that I have used when preparing the directions. Another thing I will change for next time is that I will have students save their file as lastname_worksheet rather than just Worksheet. Jolene Ferguson
When I taught my lesson, my instructions were clear. There were no surprises when each step was completed. Next time I am to teach this lesson or another lesson, I will be sure to provide a visual for students. A handout with step by step instructions may have been helpful to the students as opposed to me just going through the steps. I also had two things the students had to complete, saving and printing. Next time, I would limit the amount they had to do to save time.
When I taught my lesson, my instructions were clear. There were no surprises when each step was completed. Next time I am to teach this lesson or another lesson, I will be sure to provide a visual for students. A handout with step by step instructions may have been helpful to the students as opposed to me just going through the steps. I also had two things the students had to complete, saving and printing. Next time, I would limit the amount they had to do to save time.
I believe my organization and clear examples were able to provide Jessica an easy route in order to save my task plan document to the computer. I also believe that when teaching Jessica my hook or introduction really caught her attention and made her want to be a part of the project. My changes for the next time or in the classroom will include saving the document to a class folder instead of the desktop and also to have the actual hide feature showing up in my document so it is more user friendly for students.
I believe my organization and clear examples were able to provide Jessica an easy route in order to save my task plan document to the computer. I also believe that when teaching Jessica my hook or introduction really caught her attention and made her want to be a part of the project. My changes for the next time or in the classroom will include saving the document to a class folder instead of the desktop and also to have the actual hide feature showing up in my document so it is more user friendly for students.
I believe my organization and clear examples were able to provide Jessica an easy route in order to save my task plan document to the computer. I also believe that when teaching Jessica my hook or introduction really caught her attention and made her want to be a part of the project. My changes for the next time or in the classroom will include saving the document to a class folder instead of the desktop and also to have the actual hide feature showing up in my document so it is more user friendly for students.
My learner was able to accomplish the goal of learning to use a PowerPoint file. The only place I don’t think I’d clearly thought through was what to tell her about naming her saved file. Next time I would think in advance something like, “label it presentation_group1.” Also, if I were teaching this to an entire group I would adjust my pace to help students who were less familiar with the program.
If I were teaching to an entire class I would demonstrate on a larger screen for all of them to see rather than just using words to describe what to do. So for example, when I’m teaching them to add a graphic to the slide I would use my pointer to show where they would double-click while also using words to describe it rather than just saying, “Click on the man with the orange hair.”
After giving the upfront instruction, I would walk around and make sure everyone was understanding how to use the file.
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?" My instructional pace was good and was right at his grade level. My instructions and directions made it so Billy could understand how to save the document. I also used good visual representation and my worksheet was very user friendly. However, I could have had better organization for all my students to save their work to, such as a “my documents” folder, a great idea to consider. When dealing with multiple students, I want to make sure that we all go through the instructions step by step and that all students are on the same page. -Jessica Lee.
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
Today’s mini-lesson brought some interesting revelations. What seems to be a fairly simple redundant task can still bring new learning opportunities. Kessa and I realized that even though we had written the instructions in our lessons to use a particular browser, it is critical to remember to follow this step. I will need to make sure that my students have this step in place before proceeding with saving or printing instructions.
I feel that “mini-lessons” are a great way to have students become more familiar with a process and to be exposed to a situation where problem solving may be necessary. This is a valuable skill to develop in order to empower learners and encourage critical thinking skills. Technology is a subject that requires the teacher to provide many levels of differentiated instruction based on each student’s unique exposure to this subject.
My teaching went well. The learners created a fine product and they enjoyed the process a lot. For future teaching I would probably have to go at a slower pace in order to insure that all students were completing each step of the assignment. I also need to remember to include a short statement about how to change the size of different objects. Other than that the lesson was solid!
The preparation process of doing the steps myself and trying to perceive through the eyes of a 3rd grader who has little computer experience (much like myself actually!) worked very well. Modeling and providing written instructions also seemed to support the learner effectively. Based on what I learned, next time I would rehearse with someone else first so that I’m not stumbling over my words. My peer teacher distinguished between left and right clicks; I would explain what that means and use it next time. I also think it would be helpful to have the learner open up their flash drive after the process so that they can see their saved file. Whole class instruction: If a projector was available I would model and then provide the written instructions. If not, I would provide the written instructions with simple drawings of the “clicks” they are looking for and talk them through the process using peer assistance as necessary. Kathleen Cunningham
In preparing for this mini-lesson, I decided to create a supplemental resource looking at facts relating to my subject, “how to follow a hyperlink”. Within this reference sheet I provided a simple explanation of what a hyperlink was, what it looked like before and after it was followed as well as providing the students an opportunity to follow a hyperlink unrelated to the WebQuest subject matter. Taking the extra few minutes to generate and present this resource enhanced overall student knowledge and helped to minimize the gap in technical ability. In the future, I will want to pay specific attention to allowing most students time to reach a certain stage within the lesson and not proceeding until most everyone is ready to do so. I need to try to avoid creating an environment where students are constantly feeling the need to “catch-up” to the remainder of the group. Students that are always rushing to catch up are more focused upon process and less on learning. Perhaps thru further research and inquiry I will develop a list of strategies to better meet the needs of students struggling with technical issues and abilities. This was certainly a good start! ~ Kris Hackett
The teaching went much better than I expected. I was very nervous in the beginning. However,after I started giving instructions everything went to places. The student was able to follow my instructions. She found the worksheet on the page printed and saved. I have to observe,however, that I will have more than 25 students and I will not be able to instruct one o one. Consequently, pointing in the computer is inadvisable but giving general instructions for the whole classroom will be preferable.
The teaching went much better than I expected. I was very nervous in the beginning. However,after I started giving instructions everything went to places. The student was able to follow my instructions. She found the worksheet on the page printed and saved. I have to observe,however, that I will have more than 25 students and I will not be able to instruct one o one. Consequently, pointing in the computer is inadvisable but giving general instructions for the whole classroom will be preferable. GLadis Da Rosa
This lesson was successful in that the student was successful in saving their document to the necessary folder. One aspect I need to be prepared for is the differences in computers. I prepared this lesson on my home computer and when I was teaching the lesson it appeared differently on my work computer. The files were organized differently and needed to go back to see where to find the file to open it once it was saved.
I realize in the future I will have more than one student at a time and will need to work at the pace of the class as a whole and not the slowest or fastest in the classroom.
My lesson was successful! I taught my student how to click on a link, save a document on a USB drive, and copy/paste. Everything worked out beautifully, with the exception of saving a document.
Although I had gone through the steps, they varied per computer it seems. I realized it will be extremely important when teaching technical skills like these to my future students that I will need to double check what the steps are on the computers they will be using either in class or in the school's lab should there be one. Jaymi Arlot
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
The mini-lesson was a nice addition to implementing further technical instruction within the webquest assignment. I enjoy bringing in additional elements to student’s technological arsenal. The mini-lesson went very well overall. Each step led to the next and it was easy to communicate the steps to my learner. For the purpose of presenting this mini-lesson to an entire class I would want to utilize a projector connected to my computer in order to have a visual for the all students to follow along with. The one change that I would make to my mini-lesson of saving a teacher-created PowerPoint template to a student’s flash drive would be to have the students rename the file to incorporate their last name as this would make it easier to retrieve for the purpose of their actual presentation later. ~Melody Autry-O'Dell
18 comments:
The lesson proved to be successful, as my student successfully printed out the worksheet from the webquest. I began my lesson by first very briefly introducing the webquest and then verbally reading the steps with my student. Then I demonstrated the steps visually. Finally, I watched as my student performed the task.
In a real classroom, I would not present my lesson one on one at a single computer but would probably present the lesson on a classroom projector so the entire class can see at once. After the initial instruction has been completed, I would then circulate around the computer lab making sure that all the students have successfully printed the worksheet and providing any additional assistance as necessary.
Natalie Keller
The handout I prepared with step-by-step instructions on how to save and open a hyperlink as a Microsoft Word file proved to be helpful for the learner. I will continue to provide this handout to students in my classroom, and encourage them to keep the handout so that they may refer back to it as needed. For next time, I will make sure that the browser students are using is the one that I have used when preparing the directions. Another thing I will change for next time is that I will have students save their file as lastname_worksheet rather than just Worksheet.
Jolene Ferguson
When I taught my lesson, my instructions were clear. There were no surprises when each step was completed. Next time I am to teach this lesson or another lesson, I will be sure to provide a visual for students. A handout with step by step instructions may have been helpful to the students as opposed to me just going through the steps. I also had two things the students had to complete, saving and printing. Next time, I would limit the amount they had to do to save time.
oops...
When I taught my lesson, my instructions were clear. There were no surprises when each step was completed. Next time I am to teach this lesson or another lesson, I will be sure to provide a visual for students. A handout with step by step instructions may have been helpful to the students as opposed to me just going through the steps. I also had two things the students had to complete, saving and printing. Next time, I would limit the amount they had to do to save time.
Tiffany Brogan
I believe my organization and clear examples were able to provide Jessica an easy route in order to save my task plan document to the computer. I also believe that when teaching Jessica my hook or introduction really caught her attention and made her want to be a part of the project. My changes for the next time or in the classroom will include saving the document to a class folder instead of the desktop and also to have the actual hide feature showing up in my document so it is more user friendly for students.
-Billy Beaumont
I believe my organization and clear examples were able to provide Jessica an easy route in order to save my task plan document to the computer. I also believe that when teaching Jessica my hook or introduction really caught her attention and made her want to be a part of the project. My changes for the next time or in the classroom will include saving the document to a class folder instead of the desktop and also to have the actual hide feature showing up in my document so it is more user friendly for students.
-Billy Beaumont
I believe my organization and clear examples were able to provide Jessica an easy route in order to save my task plan document to the computer. I also believe that when teaching Jessica my hook or introduction really caught her attention and made her want to be a part of the project. My changes for the next time or in the classroom will include saving the document to a class folder instead of the desktop and also to have the actual hide feature showing up in my document so it is more user friendly for students.
-Billy Beaumont
My learner was able to accomplish the goal of learning to use a PowerPoint file. The only place I don’t think I’d clearly thought through was what to tell her about naming her saved file. Next time I would think in advance something like, “label it presentation_group1.” Also, if I were teaching this to an entire group I would adjust my pace to help students who were less familiar with the program.
If I were teaching to an entire class I would demonstrate on a larger screen for all of them to see rather than just using words to describe what to do. So for example, when I’m teaching them to add a graphic to the slide I would use my pointer to show where they would double-click while also using words to describe it rather than just saying, “Click on the man with the orange hair.”
After giving the upfront instruction, I would walk around and make sure everyone was understanding how to use the file.
April Nissen
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
My instructional pace was good and was right at his grade level. My instructions and directions made it so Billy could understand how to save the document. I also used good visual representation and my worksheet was very user friendly. However, I could have had better organization for all my students to save their work to, such as a “my documents” folder, a great idea to consider. When dealing with multiple students, I want to make sure that we all go through the instructions step by step and that all students are on the same page.
-Jessica Lee.
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
Today’s mini-lesson brought some interesting revelations. What seems to be a fairly simple redundant task can still bring new learning opportunities. Kessa and I realized that even though we had written the instructions in our lessons to use a particular browser, it is critical to remember to follow this step. I will need to make sure that my students have this step in place before proceeding with saving or printing instructions.
I feel that “mini-lessons” are a great way to have students become more familiar with a process and to be exposed to a situation where problem solving may be necessary. This is a valuable skill to develop in order to empower learners and encourage critical thinking skills. Technology is a subject that requires the teacher to provide many levels of differentiated instruction based on each student’s unique exposure to this subject.
Lisa MacKintosh
My teaching went well. The learners created a fine product and they enjoyed the process a lot. For future teaching I would probably have to go at a slower pace in order to insure that all students were completing each step of the assignment. I also need to remember to include a short statement about how to change the size of different objects. Other than that the lesson was solid!
Stephanie Stutesman
The preparation process of doing the steps myself and trying to perceive through the eyes of a 3rd grader who has little computer experience (much like myself actually!) worked very well. Modeling and providing written instructions also seemed to support the learner effectively. Based on what I learned, next time I would rehearse with someone else first so that I’m not stumbling over my words. My peer teacher distinguished between left and right clicks; I would explain what that means and use it next time. I also think it would be helpful to have the learner open up their flash drive after the process so that they can see their saved file.
Whole class instruction: If a projector was available I would model and then provide the written instructions. If not, I would provide the written instructions with simple drawings of the “clicks” they are looking for and talk them through the process using peer assistance as necessary.
Kathleen Cunningham
In preparing for this mini-lesson, I decided to create a supplemental resource looking at facts relating to my subject, “how to follow a hyperlink”. Within this reference sheet I provided a simple explanation of what a hyperlink was, what it looked like before and after it was followed as well as providing the students an opportunity to follow a hyperlink unrelated to the WebQuest subject matter. Taking the extra few minutes to generate and present this resource enhanced overall student knowledge and helped to minimize the gap in technical ability. In the future, I will want to pay specific attention to allowing most students time to reach a certain stage within the lesson and not proceeding until most everyone is ready to do so. I need to try to avoid creating an environment where students are constantly feeling the need to “catch-up” to the remainder of the group. Students that are always rushing to catch up are more focused upon process and less on learning. Perhaps thru further research and inquiry I will develop a list of strategies to better meet the needs of students struggling with technical issues and abilities. This was certainly a good start! ~ Kris Hackett
The teaching went much better than I expected. I was very nervous in the beginning. However,after I started giving instructions everything went to places. The student was able to follow my instructions. She found the worksheet on the page printed and saved.
I have to observe,however, that I will have more than 25 students and I will not be able to instruct one o one.
Consequently, pointing in the computer is inadvisable but giving general instructions for the whole classroom will be preferable.
The teaching went much better than I expected. I was very nervous in the beginning. However,after I started giving instructions everything went to places. The student was able to follow my instructions. She found the worksheet on the page printed and saved.
I have to observe,however, that I will have more than 25 students and I will not be able to instruct one o one.
Consequently, pointing in the computer is inadvisable but giving general instructions for the whole classroom will be preferable.
GLadis Da Rosa
July 2, 2008 9:50 AM
This lesson was successful in that the student was successful in saving their document to the necessary folder. One aspect I need to be prepared for is the differences in computers. I prepared this lesson on my home computer and when I was teaching the lesson it appeared differently on my work computer. The files were organized differently and needed to go back to see where to find the file to open it once it was saved.
I realize in the future I will have more than one student at a time and will need to work at the pace of the class as a whole and not the slowest or fastest in the classroom.
Sara Bailey
My lesson was successful! I taught my student how to click on a link, save a document on a USB drive, and copy/paste. Everything worked out beautifully, with the exception of saving a document.
Although I had gone through the steps, they varied per computer it seems. I realized it will be extremely important when teaching technical skills like these to my future students that I will need to double check what the steps are on the computers they will be using either in class or in the school's lab should there be one. Jaymi Arlot
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
The mini-lesson was a nice addition to implementing further technical instruction within the webquest assignment. I enjoy bringing in additional elements to student’s technological arsenal. The mini-lesson went very well overall. Each step led to the next and it was easy to communicate the steps to my learner. For the purpose of presenting this mini-lesson to an entire class I would want to utilize a projector connected to my computer in order to have a visual for the all students to follow along with. The one change that I would make to my mini-lesson of saving a teacher-created PowerPoint template to a student’s flash drive would be to have the students rename the file to incorporate their last name as this would make it easier to retrieve for the purpose of their actual presentation later.
~Melody Autry-O'Dell
Post a Comment