"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
18 comments:
Anonymous
said...
My student followed my instruction almost perfectly. She did get confused between right and left click which I think is fairly common and I need to be prepared for future students to make the same mistake. Otherwise, everything worked according to plan. I think my step by step instructions were very helpful. My example however, did not go as well because I did not demonstrate exactly how I wanted my student to do it. Next time, I need to make sure my demonstration is exactly the same. Jane Scott
This mini lesson was a great teaching experience because an issue arose that will help inform my lesson preparation in the future. Lisa prepared her mini lesson using Internet Explorer while I prepared my mini lesson using Mozilla Firefox. This is due to the fact that our corresponding workstation computers have these particular internet browsers installed. Therefore, during our mini lesson, the steps we had prepared no longer applied.
We had to learn how to troubleshoot using a different internet browser and in the process learned how important this step can be when planning a mini lesson. In our future classrooms, we can remember to check which internet browser is installed in the classroom computers and prepare our mini lesson accordingly.
Other than the difference in steps due to the different browsers, the lesson went very well. Lisa was an exceptional student and fun to teach.
I think I did a good job of instructing my student as her pace of learning. I was patient, and let her discover the right icon to click based on my verbal direction, rather than pointing it out to her. Initially, I made a mistake in the process of directing her to save a file, but I recovered with minimal confusion. I think this is valuable as it shows students that teachers are not infallible. Based on this experience, next time I will remember to have them hit “save” first instead of “open” when they first click on the link. That way it opens in word and not as a browser and they can edit it right away.
What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?
It was useful to be able to see how my instruction translated to another individual. I am so used to my own language and my own way of thinking that I can often forget to consider other possibilities or way of communicating an idea.
Shannon was able to give positive feedback as well as point out to me individual things/words that I had messed up on. Very informative!
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
I taught at an appropriate pace where I did not lose my learner at any point. I also used age appropriate language (keeping in mind that Zac was my second grade student :-) ). Zac was able to quickly and efficiently learn the task. Next time I might use a big screen to show the visual learners in a more visual way versus just telling them in words what to do. Zac did well with this, but some learners may get lost with just words. Otherwise it went well!
The whole lesson seemed to go smoothly. The student understood what I was teaching them and there weren’t any glitches as we went along. She was able to save the document with out any trouble.
If this lesson were with an individual student again, I would actually teach them by looking at their screen. If the lesson were to an entire class, I would do the lesson on the projector so that the whole class could see it at once. I would also print out the directions so that the student would be able to reference them later. Zac Gorley
“What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?" Having a computer available for the teacher and student was very helpful. I was able to guide the student verbally and visually. The student was able to watch what I did and then do the same step on her computer. I think that it would be beneficial to have the written instructions visible especially when teaching an entire class at the same time. I think having students help each other would help those that aren’t as familiar with computers. This will allow those who get a step behind to look back and catch up. I would also go through the steps a couple of times while the students watch before allowing them to try themselves. Jennifer Weber
Before starting to teach my lesson, I made sure my student could see my computer screen as well as her own computer screen. I walked her through each one of the steps demonstrating how to save a file. She was able to keep up with the process and saved the file by following my instructions. Next time I may want to show students that there is more than one way to go about saving a file on their thumb drives or student folders. Or I can show them how to save two different documents differently during a lesson. Also, for those students who may have trouble remembering how to save a document later on, I will provide them with a printed copy of the directions for them to later reference. (Ideally, I would pass this out before I taught my students how to save their file, so that if learners fell behind they could catch up easily.) - Kristin Templet
Overall, the lesson went well but I think it was more because the idea was fairly simple and the person that I taught it to was easy to talk to and fairly laid back. Even though it was just to one person I still got a little nervous; I think that next time I would practice more until I felt comfortable with all of the technical aspects. Practice, practice, practice! I don’t want a student to feel like I am just blowing smoke—I need to be more comfortable in the role of technology expert (it will take a while!). --Shannon Kimball--
The lesson went really smoothly. I think that to replicate this in the classroom I would do several things, including: having the students do review sessions of expected skills before they began the WebQuest, have parent volunteers in on the days of the lessons, conduct a technology survey before the students are paired up so I can pair students who have more developed skills with those who may be struggling, and have the copy and paste directions printed out for the students so that they don't have to keep clicking back and forth between the website and the worksheet.
I didn’t really understand the t-process assignment (realized after doing Bailey’s) so I had to improvise. My preparation was not there although I did know how it would work in my head. I need to make sure to not assume that students remember how to do an exercise. Go slowly and ask frequently if they are on track. In a real classroom I will allow for students to work with each other when stumped so not to pull me away from the lesson. -Alissa Dahl
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
Teaching the mini-lesson went fairly smooth. Since I had written my mini-lesson directions at the computer that I performed the lesson on, the directions were accurate. My student was attentive and followed directions well.
As an instructor, I would prefer to teach a whole class this lesson using an overhead projector. I would first demonstrate the lesson on the overhead for all students to see. Then I would talk students through the process while they attempted it on their own.
Teaching an individual student that already had prior experience using Excel went smoothly because my student was already familiar with the program. It was easier to be able to watch the student go through the process and to instruct them as they worked.
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
Candice was my student. She was demoted to 5th grade and asked to print out my embedded worksheet. She was able to follow my directions and we ended up with a printed document as intended, but:
1)- I tried to use an embedded document in her WebQuest as an example and found that the prompts (or lack of prompts) were quite different than those of the documents embedded in my WebQuest.
2)- The layout of her and my toolbars are quite different than the layout of my toolbars at home.
3)- Pop-up windows have different options in different versions of Windows.
So, what I learned today is that I should try my lesson on a variety of computers before calling it complete and asking students to follow it verbatim.
In my teaching, the student was able to print the worksheet. However, I had to adjust my instructions. When I originally wrote the directions, I was using the "index" file. Since we actually printed the worksheet from the phoenix web site, the steps were slightly different. I did not realize there would be a difference. Next time, I would go to the phoenix page, and write my instructions based on the steps I have to take to print from there.
The mini lesson went well, I think. Next time I will try to talk more slowly and read my own direction as I do them, as my students will be much younger then she was today. Also, I will go back and include in my instructions to fill the text box in with information, so when they go to write their PSA script they will be well prepared.
For the age I targeted I think my learning style was appropriate. I chose to teach to younger students who do not know anything about computers, if those students still exist. So I refered to thing like the 'rectangle'at the top of the page as a destination.
I would use more advanced language next time. I am sure alot of kids can handle the language. Kristy Filbin
For the age group I was targeting, my lesson was very simple and easy to follow. My "student" had no trouble printing the worksheet using my instructions and I think real second grade students would be able to do that. I think in my own classroom, I will be much more visual with my instructions. Younger students seem to learn better when they can see what they are supposed to be doing, rather than hear about it.
The teaching went well. I found that I was thorough in my instructions. With a class full of actual young children, it will be different than teaching an adult. I may need to wait longer for them to complete each step and more explanation may be required. It will just depend on their level of experience with computers.
I did a combined lesson of saving and printing. It may be more beneficial to do only one at time and to practice that skill several times before adding a second part to it. It also may be helpful to have the directions in print for the students or to allow them time to take notes. That way they could have notes to refer to later if they cannot remember how to perform the function.
18 comments:
My student followed my instruction almost perfectly. She did get confused between right and left click which I think is fairly common and I need to be prepared for future students to make the same mistake. Otherwise, everything worked according to plan. I think my step by step instructions were very helpful. My example however, did not go as well because I did not demonstrate exactly how I wanted my student to do it. Next time, I need to make sure my demonstration is exactly the same. Jane Scott
This mini lesson was a great teaching experience because an issue arose that will help inform my lesson preparation in the future. Lisa prepared her mini lesson using Internet Explorer while I prepared my mini lesson using Mozilla Firefox. This is due to the fact that our corresponding workstation computers have these particular internet browsers installed. Therefore, during our mini lesson, the steps we had prepared no longer applied.
We had to learn how to troubleshoot using a different internet browser and in the process learned how important this step can be when planning a mini lesson. In our future classrooms, we can remember to check which internet browser is installed in the classroom computers and prepare our mini lesson accordingly.
Other than the difference in steps due to the different browsers, the lesson went very well. Lisa was an exceptional student and fun to teach.
-Kessa Dehler
I think I did a good job of instructing my student as her pace of learning. I was patient, and let her discover the right icon to click based on my verbal direction, rather than pointing it out to her. Initially, I made a mistake in the process of directing her to save a file, but I recovered with minimal confusion. I think this is valuable as it shows students that teachers are not infallible. Based on this experience, next time I will remember to have them hit “save” first instead of “open” when they first click on the link. That way it opens in word and not as a browser and they can edit it right away.
Genevieve Wiitanen
What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?
It was useful to be able to see how my instruction translated to another individual. I am so used to my own language and my own way of thinking that I can often forget to consider other possibilities or way of communicating an idea.
Shannon was able to give positive feedback as well as point out to me individual things/words that I had messed up on. Very informative!
Jones Turner
Emily Hempelmann~
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
I taught at an appropriate pace where I did not lose my learner at any point. I also used age appropriate language (keeping in mind that Zac was my second grade student :-) ). Zac was able to quickly and efficiently learn the task. Next time I might use a big screen to show the visual learners in a more visual way versus just telling them in words what to do. Zac did well with this, but some learners may get lost with just words. Otherwise it went well!
The whole lesson seemed to go smoothly. The student understood what I was teaching them and there weren’t any glitches as we went along. She was able to save the document with out any trouble.
If this lesson were with an individual student again, I would actually teach them by looking at their screen. If the lesson were to an entire class, I would do the lesson on the projector so that the whole class could see it at once. I would also print out the directions so that the student would be able to reference them later. Zac Gorley
“What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
Having a computer available for the teacher and student was very helpful. I was able to guide the student verbally and visually. The student was able to watch what I did and then do the same step on her computer.
I think that it would be beneficial to have the written instructions visible especially when teaching an entire class at the same time. I think having students help each other would help those that aren’t as familiar with computers. This will allow those who get a step behind to look back and catch up. I would also go through the steps a couple of times while the students watch before allowing them to try themselves.
Jennifer Weber
Before starting to teach my lesson, I made sure my student could see my computer screen as well as her own computer screen. I walked her through each one of the steps demonstrating how to save a file. She was able to keep up with the process and saved the file by following my instructions. Next time I may want to show students that there is more than one way to go about saving a file on their thumb drives or student folders. Or I can show them how to save two different documents differently during a lesson. Also, for those students who may have trouble remembering how to save a document later on, I will provide them with a printed copy of the directions for them to later reference. (Ideally, I would pass this out before I taught my students how to save their file, so that if learners fell behind they could catch up easily.) - Kristin Templet
Overall, the lesson went well but I think it was more because the idea was fairly simple and the person that I taught it to was easy to talk to and fairly laid back. Even though it was just to one person I still got a little nervous; I think that next time I would practice more until I felt comfortable with all of the technical aspects. Practice, practice, practice! I don’t want a student to feel like I am just blowing smoke—I need to be more comfortable in the role of technology expert (it will take a while!).
--Shannon Kimball--
Bailey DesRosier
The lesson went really smoothly. I think that to replicate this in the classroom I would do several things, including: having the students do review sessions of expected skills before they began the WebQuest, have parent volunteers in on the days of the lessons, conduct a technology survey before the students are paired up so I can pair students who have more developed skills with those who may be struggling, and have the copy and paste directions printed out for the students so that they don't have to keep clicking back and forth between the website and the worksheet.
I didn’t really understand the t-process assignment (realized after doing Bailey’s) so I had to improvise. My preparation was not there although I did know how it would work in my head. I need to make sure to not assume that students remember how to do an exercise. Go slowly and ask frequently if they are on track. In a real classroom I will allow for students to work with each other when stumped so not to pull me away from the lesson. -Alissa Dahl
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
Teaching the mini-lesson went fairly smooth. Since I had written my mini-lesson directions at the computer that I performed the lesson on, the directions were accurate. My student was attentive and followed directions well.
As an instructor, I would prefer to teach a whole class this lesson using an overhead projector. I would first demonstrate the lesson on the overhead for all students to see. Then I would talk students through the process while they attempted it on their own.
Teaching an individual student that already had prior experience using Excel went smoothly because my student was already familiar with the program. It was easier to be able to watch the student go through the process and to instruct them as they worked.
-Candice Catlin
"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
Candice was my student. She was demoted to 5th grade and asked to print out my embedded worksheet. She was able to follow my directions and we ended up with a printed document as intended, but:
1)- I tried to use an embedded document in her WebQuest as an example and found that the prompts (or lack of prompts) were quite different than those of the documents embedded in my WebQuest.
2)- The layout of her and my toolbars are quite different than the layout of my toolbars at home.
3)- Pop-up windows have different options in different versions of Windows.
So, what I learned today is that I should try my lesson on a variety of computers before calling it complete and asking students to follow it verbatim.
Paul Crossley
In my teaching, the student was able to print the worksheet. However, I had to adjust my instructions. When I originally wrote the directions, I was using the "index" file. Since we actually printed the worksheet from the phoenix web site, the steps were slightly different. I did not realize there would be a difference. Next time, I would go to the phoenix page, and write my instructions based on the steps I have to take to print from there.
- Shawn Parks
The mini lesson went well, I think. Next time I will try to talk more slowly and read my own direction as I do them, as my students will be much younger then she was today. Also, I will go back and include in my instructions to fill the text box in with information, so when they go to write their PSA script they will be well prepared.
Courtney Larkin
For the age I targeted I think my learning style was appropriate. I chose to teach to younger students who do not know anything about computers, if those students still exist. So I refered to thing like the 'rectangle'at the top of the page as a destination.
I would use more advanced language next time. I am sure alot of kids can handle the language. Kristy Filbin
For the age group I was targeting, my lesson was very simple and easy to follow. My "student" had no trouble printing the worksheet using my instructions and I think real second grade students would be able to do that. I think in my own classroom, I will be much more visual with my instructions. Younger students seem to learn better when they can see what they are supposed to be doing, rather than hear about it.
-Lauren Brown
The teaching went well. I found that I was thorough in my instructions. With a class full of actual young children, it will be different than teaching an adult. I may need to wait longer for them to complete each step and more explanation may be required. It will just depend on their level of experience with computers.
I did a combined lesson of saving and printing. It may be more beneficial to do only one at time and to practice that skill several times before adding a second part to it. It also may be helpful to have the directions in print for the students or to allow them time to take notes. That way they could have notes to refer to later if they cannot remember how to perform the function.
Karen Adams
Post a Comment