“What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?” Please sign your first and last name to you post.
16 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I think it is essential for technology to be integrated into the curriculum. With the growing emphasis of technology in the work place, students need to be familiar with how to use it. If you want your students to succeed once they leave your classroom they need to have at the very least a basic understanding of technology. I also feel that with the growing interest that students have with technology you are going to have to incorporate it into your lesson plans, if you want to get and keep their attention.
Since technology is such a vital part of society, it’s important that kids learn how to use it properly. With an education in technology at an early age it will give them an upper hand in having the knowledge and skills to apply in their daily lives.
I do believe that the use of technology should be limited especially in the younger age. As technology is such a crucial aspect it, too much can be detrimental. I also believe that students should still learn the traditional way of handwriting and cursive. I do not believe that technology should replace traditional teaching and learning concepts; instead, they should be in addition to.
Right now I feel like technology can be very distracting and take away from a sense of community. If it is used sparingly I can see it being useful, but I would not like to see a classroom where it is being used all day long. Especially for the younger grades I do not feel it is necessary and can interfere with or detract from some learning styles. I know it is important, but with kids (and adults) being bombarded constantly with technology, including it in the classroom as well means that we can’t ever get away from it and will become completely dependant upon it. Natalie Miller
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology? Technology can be a very valuable tool for the enhancement of education. It provides the opportunity for increased visual and interactive learning, as well as opportunities for students to express their own individual creativity. With the current importance of technology in our society, it is also important to teach the skills of technology to students, as well as demonstrate the uses of technology by classroom application.
I believe that technology is a useful tool in teaching and learning. Teachers can utilize technology to present material in a variety of ways. Technology can help learners. I have learned that children with learning disabilities can sometimes generate text better on a keyboard than by handwriting. Technology is a part of our world, and should be present in teaching and learning.
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
I don’t have a lot of experience with teaching or learning with technology with exception to a music program called finale, where you can input musical compositions or arrangements into a professional format.
I do believe that technology can be very helpful in teaching and learning and I’d like to be able to incorporate technology into my lesson plans when I begin to teach. I’ve learned about some programs last summer session in our Special Education class. These programs can be very beneficial to students.
I also believe it is important to give students the opportunities to become somewhat familiar, if not proficient, in regards to technology (since it is such a large part of our culture in America). Getting jobs can often depend on computer and technology skills and it is part of our job as teachers, to prepare students for these life experiences.
Finally, I strongly believe that technology is a way to enhance student learning and comprehension. I myself am a strong visual learner and technology is a great way to incorporate different learning styles.
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
I believe it is essential in today’s classroom to have a solid base of technological knowledge. There are many applications where the use of computers is extremely beneficial to enrich and enhance the student’s learning experience. Computers can provide a teacher the ability to teach in a multi-faceted approach by manipulating curriculum to parallel the subject that is being taught. Although I do not have any experience with computers I am very excited to learn. Technology is a very important aspect of the classroom today.
I feel that teachers, if capable, can use technology to enhance the learning of their students. Teachers can use various mediums to support student learning. However, the use of these mediums should never replace teaching. Technology should only be used in a supplementary manner. Technology cannot replace the teacher. Think about online colleges. Yes, you can learn a lot, but I feel you learn so much more by personal experience. We do need to educate students on how to use technology so that they can be competent when they enter the workforce.
Post to: “What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?” 6/16/08
Teachers are forever students, students are teachers in disguise and technology takes us both to higher plains, bringing us both to a new world that we can use together. With this in mind, computers open up a new world full of information that can be accessed from around the world. Working with students to learn how to use the internet and search engines safely is a goal as a teacher. Working with students to learn how to write within sources such as word, excel and PowerPoint will enable them to communicate their thoughts not only to their class or to me, as their teacher, but to themselves as well.
Technology is an amazing tool to be utilized within the classroom. It provides an opportunity for both students and teachers to work together in a collaborative effort to pursue an expansive wealth of knowledge and understanding. A teacher has an opportunity to bring into a learning environment a wealth of resources that are usually not available within a traditional school library. Students in turn have an opportunity to pursue an endless degree of resources to foster and cultivate areas of further learning and understanding. Technology within the classroom is a powerful tool. With this power must come responsibility to use this tool in a respectful, professional and ethical manner.
Technology is becoming a prevalent in today’s classroom and today’s society as a whole. I believe it is essential for children to learn technology in order to have that skill set, especially when they get into the work world. Such applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint can help students not only in the classroom, but also at home where they might need to budget, make presentations, or just type a report for their job. Lastly students need to learn technology because the information you can find on the web. Children need to learn that the information they find is not always correct and how to find reliable resources.
While I believe that both teaching and learning can be enhanced by technology I am also aware of technology’s potentially negative effects on teaching and learning. The learning curve for teachers associated with technology can inhibit the ability to effectively teach students, either about technology itself or, potentially, any lesson plan (i.e. if you have prepared a PowerPoint to utilize with your lesson and the technology fails or you don’t have the skills to deal with associated problems).
For kids with learning disabilities, such as ADHD, noise of the clicking keys can be a serious disruption to their thought process.
Of course, all this being said I feel it’s important to recognize that we do live in a technologically advancing society and we must learn to advance along with it.
It is essential that students learn to use technology because it is used in so many ways in our world and will very likely be required in their future careers. It can provide opportunities for learning and interaction that would not be available without it. However, there are some downsides to it as well. Student’s should still be required to learn handwriting skills as they will be needed for basic things like filling out forms at the doctors office, for example. Also, there should be plenty of opportunities for personal interaction because technology can sometimes get in the way of that.
I believe that teaching and learning with technology provides students and teachers with access to a vast array of information, more variety in methods of preparing and presenting material, and more efficient methods and strategies for teaching. For those learners with language concerns and learning disabilities, technology may offer a tool that will help them communicate and learn in ways that would otherwise not be available. At the same time, I believe that we, as educators should be aware of the potential for technology to create distraction – especially if and when we attempt to use technology with which we are unfamiliar or uncomfortable. In addition, I wonder if, for some people, the exclusive use of technology might limit imagination and creativity? Kathleen Cunningham
1. What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
Technology is a great tool for teachers and students. If it is used wisely, teaching becomes efficient and learning enjoyable. Technology is changing the way we communicate, the way we relate to people and the way we see the world.
Teachers can make their lesson plans using the internet as a reference to any topic they want. They do not have to go the library and spend hours looking for books and journals or articles to illustrate to enrich their subject. The teacher can consult other teachers or work with colleagues from home. The exchange of thoughts and ideas among teachers augment their knowledge and learning.
Students learn through drills and games. They can do their home work online and sent it to their teachers. Computers also permit them to correct their homework before sending to the teacher. Tutors are available for questioning about any subject, such as math, science or art. Students are exposed to all kinds of technology, cell phones, ipods, and digital cameras.
Teachers can ask students to research anything in any part of the world. The use of technology has to be used with caution because the students still need a teacher's guidance and human relationship. The students are able to research questions in matter of hours or even minutes. They just need to have a computer and a printer. They do not need to travel or fax or go the library. However, teachers should use technology in their classroom with responsibility.
There is no limit to what children can learn and are learning with technology. The information age is making communication between people easier. One can see the world differently. The internet shows different countries' costumes, food, and music and so on. The world does not seem scary anymore. Learning from this incredible torrent of information is transforming the way one learns while making it more efficient and enjoyable.
The use of technology in the classroom can definitely benefit a student in the long run. When they move into the business world, they will be more comfortable with these skills. However, technology in the classroom can be a hindrance to the learning process, depending on how it is used. If a teacher uses technology to replace her interaction with her students, this can be extremely detrimental to the learning process. Already, people today increasingly use technology in place of human interaction. As our world becomes more globalized, we use ATMs, pay our bills online, and kids play computer and video games instead of interacting with peers. The social repercussions of replacing face-to-face learning with technology can have lasting effects.
16 comments:
I think it is essential for technology to be integrated into the curriculum. With the growing emphasis of technology in the work place, students need to be familiar with how to use it. If you want your students to succeed once they leave your classroom they need to have at the very least a basic understanding of technology. I also feel that with the growing interest that students have with technology you are going to have to incorporate it into your lesson plans, if you want to get and keep their attention.
Tiffany Brogan
Since technology is such a vital part of society, it’s important that kids learn how to use it properly. With an education in technology at an early age it will give them an upper hand in having the knowledge and skills to apply in their daily lives.
I do believe that the use of technology should be limited especially in the younger age. As technology is such a crucial aspect it, too much can be detrimental. I also believe that students should still learn the traditional way of handwriting and cursive. I do not believe that technology should replace traditional teaching and learning concepts; instead, they should be in addition to.
Looking forward to learning more with technology!
Sara Bailey
Right now I feel like technology can be very distracting and take away from a sense of community. If it is used sparingly I can see it being useful, but I would not like to see a classroom where it is being used all day long. Especially for the younger grades I do not feel it is necessary and can interfere with or detract from some learning styles. I know it is important, but with kids (and adults) being bombarded constantly with technology, including it in the classroom as well means that we can’t ever get away from it and will become completely dependant upon it.
Natalie Miller
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
Technology can be a very valuable tool for the enhancement of education. It provides the opportunity for increased visual and interactive learning, as well as opportunities for students to express their own individual creativity. With the current importance of technology in our society, it is also important to teach the skills of technology to students, as well as demonstrate the uses of technology by classroom application.
Natalie Keller
I believe that technology is a useful tool in teaching and learning. Teachers can utilize technology to present material in a variety of ways. Technology can help learners. I have learned that children with learning disabilities can sometimes generate text better on a keyboard than by handwriting. Technology is a part of our world, and should be present in teaching and learning.
Jolene Ferguson
T&L 521
June 16, 2008
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
I don’t have a lot of experience with teaching or learning with technology with exception to a music program called finale, where you can input musical compositions or arrangements into a professional format.
I do believe that technology can be very helpful in teaching and learning and I’d like to be able to incorporate technology into my lesson plans when I begin to teach. I’ve learned about some programs last summer session in our Special Education class. These programs can be very beneficial to students.
I also believe it is important to give students the opportunities to become somewhat familiar, if not proficient, in regards to technology (since it is such a large part of our culture in America). Getting jobs can often depend on computer and technology skills and it is part of our job as teachers, to prepare students for these life experiences.
Finally, I strongly believe that technology is a way to enhance student learning and comprehension. I myself am a strong visual learner and technology is a great way to incorporate different learning styles.
-Kessa
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
I believe it is essential in today’s classroom to have a solid base of technological knowledge. There are many applications where the use of computers is extremely beneficial to enrich and enhance the student’s learning experience. Computers can provide a teacher the ability to teach in a multi-faceted approach by manipulating curriculum to parallel the subject that is being taught. Although I do not have any experience with computers I am very excited to learn. Technology is a very important aspect of the classroom today.
Lisa MacKintosh
I feel that teachers, if capable, can use technology to enhance the learning of their students. Teachers can use various mediums to support student learning. However, the use of these mediums should never replace teaching. Technology should only be used in a supplementary manner. Technology cannot replace the teacher. Think about online colleges. Yes, you can learn a lot, but I feel you learn so much more by personal experience. We do need to educate students on how to use technology so that they can be competent when they enter the workforce.
Stephanie Stutesman
Post to: “What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?” 6/16/08
Teachers are forever students, students are teachers in disguise and technology takes us both to higher plains, bringing us both to a new world that we can use together. With this in mind, computers open up a new world full of information that can be accessed from around the world. Working with students to learn how to use the internet and search engines safely is a goal as a teacher. Working with students to learn how to write within sources such as word, excel and PowerPoint will enable them to communicate their thoughts not only to their class or to me, as their teacher, but to themselves as well.
-Jessica Lee.
Technology is an amazing tool to be utilized within the classroom. It provides an opportunity for both students and teachers to work together in a collaborative effort to pursue an expansive wealth of knowledge and understanding. A teacher has an opportunity to bring into a learning environment a wealth of resources that are usually not available within a traditional school library. Students in turn have an opportunity to pursue an endless degree of resources to foster and cultivate areas of further learning and understanding. Technology within the classroom is a powerful tool. With this power must come responsibility to use this tool in a respectful, professional and ethical manner.
Kristine Hackett
June 16, 2008
Technology is becoming a prevalent in today’s classroom and today’s society as a whole. I believe it is essential for children to learn technology in order to have that skill set, especially when they get into the work world. Such applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint can help students not only in the classroom, but also at home where they might need to budget, make presentations, or just type a report for their job. Lastly students need to learn technology because the information you can find on the web. Children need to learn that the information they find is not always correct and how to find reliable resources.
-Billy Beaumont
While I believe that both teaching and learning can be enhanced by technology I am also aware of technology’s potentially negative effects on teaching and learning. The learning curve for teachers associated with technology can inhibit the ability to effectively teach students, either about technology itself or, potentially, any lesson plan (i.e. if you have prepared a PowerPoint to utilize with your lesson and the technology fails or you don’t have the skills to deal with associated problems).
For kids with learning disabilities, such as ADHD, noise of the clicking keys can be a serious disruption to their thought process.
Of course, all this being said I feel it’s important to recognize that we do live in a technologically advancing society and we must learn to advance along with it.
Melody Autry-O'Dell
It is essential that students learn to use technology because it is used in so many ways in our world and will very likely be required in their future careers. It can provide opportunities for learning and interaction that would not be available without it. However, there are some downsides to it as well. Student’s should still be required to learn handwriting skills as they will be needed for basic things like filling out forms at the doctors office, for example. Also, there should be plenty of opportunities for personal interaction because technology can sometimes get in the way of that.
April Nissen
I believe that teaching and learning with technology provides students and teachers with access to a vast array of information, more variety in methods of preparing and presenting material, and more efficient methods and strategies for teaching. For those learners with language concerns and learning disabilities, technology may offer a tool that will help them communicate and learn in ways that would otherwise not be available.
At the same time, I believe that we, as educators should be aware of the potential for technology to create distraction – especially if and when we attempt to use technology with which we are unfamiliar or uncomfortable. In addition, I wonder if, for some people, the exclusive use of technology might limit imagination and creativity?
Kathleen Cunningham
1. What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
Technology is a great tool for teachers and students. If it is used wisely, teaching becomes efficient and learning enjoyable. Technology is changing the way we communicate, the way we relate to people and the way we see the world.
Teachers can make their lesson plans using the internet as a reference to any topic they want. They do not have to go the library and spend hours looking for books and journals or articles to illustrate to enrich their subject. The teacher can consult other teachers or work with colleagues from home. The exchange of thoughts and ideas among teachers augment their knowledge and learning.
Students learn through drills and games. They can do their home work online and sent it to their teachers. Computers also permit them to correct their homework before sending to the teacher. Tutors are available for questioning about any subject, such as math, science or art. Students are exposed to all kinds of technology, cell phones, ipods, and digital cameras.
Teachers can ask students to research anything in any part of the world. The use of technology has to be used with caution because the students still need a teacher's guidance and human relationship. The students are able to research questions in matter of hours or even minutes. They just need to have a computer and a printer. They do not need to travel or fax or go the library. However, teachers should use technology in their classroom with responsibility.
There is no limit to what children can learn and are learning with technology.
The information age is making communication between people easier. One can see the world differently. The internet shows different countries' costumes, food, and music and so on. The world does not seem scary anymore. Learning from this incredible torrent of information is transforming the way one learns while making it more efficient and enjoyable.
Gladis Da Rosa
The use of technology in the classroom can definitely benefit a student in the long run. When they move into the business world, they will be more comfortable with these skills. However, technology in the classroom can be a hindrance to the learning process, depending on how it is used. If a teacher uses technology to replace her interaction with her students, this can be extremely detrimental to the learning process. Already, people today increasingly use technology in place of human interaction. As our world becomes more globalized, we use ATMs, pay our bills online, and kids play computer and video games instead of interacting with peers. The social repercussions of replacing face-to-face learning with technology can have lasting effects.
Genevieve Wiitanen
Post a Comment