Tuesday, March 4, 2008

MIT-secondary Mini Lesson

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

17 comments:

Jennifer said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

The only thing I struggled with as a teacher was whether the student was using Firefox or Internet Explorer as a browser. I would make sure that all my students were using the same browser to start class so that the instructions matched all the students, not just a few. I would still stick with modeling followed by the students working independently on printing their worksheets. The overall teaching went well and there were not large problems that arose.

Anonymous said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

Jenn was able to get through my insturctions without any assistance, so i think the minilesson was detailed enough :)

One of the problems we ran into was that our computers open the internet in different browesers (mine in Internet Explorer and hers in Firefox) so our directions didn't match entirely, but we were both able to get through them without complication.

i think if i was doing this lesson in class i would model the directions for the students, then give each group printed instructions, and be present in the computer lab in case anyone was having trouble, lost their instructions, etc. i would also make sure i knew what browser the computer lab used and write out my lesson on one of the school computers so the directions would correlate better.

-Laura

Anonymous said...

The lesson went really well. I had no gliches or stutters in moving through the processes of the lesson and the steps. Emily was able to follow my verbal instructions and move through very easily.

The only parts of the process that I would want to adapt would be the setting and the technological resources available to me and the students in the class. I would want to be able to demonstrate the lesson visually by having a computer projector like the one we have here in class. That way I could run through the steps with the students and provide a visual compliment to the verbal instruction.

Mel

Emily said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

The whole process went well, since I had gone through the steps before to make sure they all worked and were right. I tried to be very detailed about the parts of the process I was focusing on.

One change I would make would be to include starting at the Student Process Page as the first step, because even though that is where students would be when they started the actual process, I wasn't there where I started this lesson, so I had to remember where to start. I might also switch a couple of the steps around to make it flow better.

Emily Howard

Anonymous said...

I feel like my teaching went pretty well. I typed out and printed the steps ahead of time so I had them on hand while I taught Karra. I ran through my instructions a few times before class, as well, to make sure they were accurate and clear to someone who hadn't performed the technical skill before. I felt well prepared because of this, and there were no major hangups in my teaching.

The changes I might make are to prepare for the various types of browsers (Mozilla, Internet Explorer, etc.). I was prepared for Mozilla and I taught with Mozilla because I knew I would be using that one. However I could see that it would be helpful to prepare for other types so that if a computer lab or classroom had a different browser, I would also be prepared to teach in that mode.

--Katie Nye

ronngerts said...

Overall, I was fairly pleased with my teaching. If I were teaching the lesson one-on-one again I would probably do it the exact same way. What this teaching did do for me, though, was solidify some ideas for how I could teach it in a real classroom setting. I was thinking that it is a lesson that can easily be taught in small groups and, if the students seemed mature enough, have them teach the lesson to their peers. This might be a good way to get them to cement the skill into their memory.
One other thing that I learned was that my Internet Explorer at home did not behave the same way as the Internet Explorer here. Next time, I would go through all of the steps on the computer in the classroom first to be sure that there aren't any glitches.

--Karra

Anonymous said...

I think my lesson went well based on the feedback from my learner. I had tested out my lesson a couple of times ahead of time and I also used the pink sheet to think through the steps. I can't think of any changes to make on this particular lesson . . . but I'm sure once I tried it with 30 students I would change my mind!
There's always room for improvement! -- Heather

Anonymous said...

I think my teaching went really well. I rehearsed the procedures before class and was able to pinpoint areas where I needed more instruction. Because I have some experience in technical writing, this exercise was fairly simple for me (although I was repeatedly confused as to what to actually do in class...)

Next time, I would consider Roland's suggestion in that not all students may have access to a thumb drive. In these situations, I'm not exactly sure what I would do (considering the lesson was to save the Web Quest worksheet to their portable storage device).

Greg Saum

Anonymous said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

The biggest issue I had/have in this lesson is in keeping the students on target once they get to the websites they are going to be using in their research. I would also think about having the mini-lesson involve saving the folder to a flash drive.

Over all though it went quickly which is what I was hopping for so that I could try to make the overall lesson a quick one.

Roland

Anonymous said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

The example went well. I need to practice being formal and commanding when speaking to grasp the attention of 30 students. The instructions were good enough to turn students loose with or it could be a whole-class exercise.

Kristine

Anonymous said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

I think the lesson went well. I still have to modify the link to the worksheet because it does not open when in internet mode. Scot was able to follow the instructions provided on the tutorial with ease and was able to produce the desired product.

Anonymous said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

Demonstrating the database was successful and the example was a good test case. I would add addtional compounds for a larger group and perform an additional instruction check.

Shanna

Anonymous said...

I believe the mini lesson was a success for my pupil Erik and I. The story of going to feudal time as a ruler was compelling enough for Erik (my pseudo-eighth grader). He did complain that my assignment intstructions were nit picky but they did bring him accurately from point a to point b. Contradictively, he felt the technical aspects could be more fulfilling (nit picky) or basically more instructive. He pointed out that I could have added a bit here in there to my technical instructions to make things smoother. I had considered my future students of the lesson Learn to be King/Queen to be technically savvy and Erik gave some good input on what could add to the technical instruction process partition of the assignment. I.e. Now take the arrow on the text you have clicked and drag it until you have highlighted all desired words.

Anonymous said...

Last post by

Scot E. Klohe :)

Anonymous said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

Heather was a very obstinate student and I recommend she be sent to the principle's office for given otherwise punitive measures lol! Actually, I see the importance of explaining the context of the lesson (writing dialog, in this case). Heather performed well because she is familiar with computers and our software - I think students would be board stiff if I just taught them how to save files without saying, "you will be completing work that you need to save at the end of each class."

Caleb

Anonymous said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"
Since Caleb was familiar with the process of opening websites off the WebQuest and saving worksheets the lesson went overall very well. One change I would make if I was going to present this mini lesson to a class is ask students before I taught if they knew how to go about the task and if they knew any shortcut methods to share with the class. I would also go over my lesson a little bit more, but since I lost most of my information that day I was in a time crunch =).
-Ashley Billmyer

Mary said...

Well, my lesson for the most part was pretty basic, so a lot of students would be likely to skip a lot of the instruction--So I would definitly have a review time where I could demonstrate to the class once students had tried--there are a few specific things I'm asking for--citations, etc.
One thing that came up was the need to title the page on the page, as well as instructing students to add quotation marks to the quotes they copy and paste from the web page.
--Mary