“What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?” Please sign your first and last name to you post.
18 comments:
Anonymous
said...
I believe that teaching with innovative technologies and introducing children to technology in this day in age is extremely important. With everything going electronic it is important for youth to understand at least the basics, and be familiar with the pros and cons of technology. I’m curious to know just how much technology is used in elementary schools today. When I was in school, I never saw a computer – with the exception of a home computer – until I was in middle school. Even then, the lab was used just as an option for students, and for students to take typing classes that were not required. Teaching using technology can make things like lesson planning and presentations for teachers easier and quicker. It may also be easier for students to comprehend a lesson with the help of technology in limiting personal handwriting from a teacher, crummy white/chalk boards, as well as overheads.
I believe that teaching with innovative technologies and introducing children to technology in this day in age is extremely important. With everything going electronic it is important for youth to understand at least the basics, and be familiar with the pros and cons of technology. I’m curious to know just how much technology is used in elementary schools today. When I was in school, I never saw a computer – with the exception of a home computer – until I was in middle school. Even then, the lab was used just as an option for students, and for students to take typing classes that were not required. Teaching using technology can make things like lesson planning and presentations for teachers easier and quicker. It may also be easier for students to comprehend a lesson with the help of technology in limiting personal handwriting from a teacher, crummy white/chalk boards, as well as overheads. Jaymi Arlot
Things have changed so much since the last time I was in school as far as technology goes. PowerPoint and other technology have really improved how students can receive information. It is one more element to absorb lectures/lessons. As a learner, I think this is great. I am able to see what is being discussed and am better able to take notes and pay attention. As a teacher, I fully intend on using technology to enhance my student’s learning. In particular, I especially like the use of PowerPoint; however I am very open to learning new techniques, anything that will help my students. Jane Scott
I have mixed feelings about technology. On one hand you have information at the tip of your fingers, entertainment, networking with like minded people and an edge in the job market. On the other hand, how reliable is the information? Who is monitoring the entertainment? Why aren't kids outside playing? Computers are, and will be a part of society for a long time, it would be doing no service to children to not expose them to or help them build an ethical framework for how much and when to use computers. Kristy Filbin
I believe that teaching and learning with technology can be beneficial for both the student and the teacher. Technology gives the teacher more visual aids to work with that can keep students engaged in learning. It also opens up more resources for the teachers to meet a variety of learning styles. For the students, it helps them become adjusted to the world around them. Our world has become, and will continue to become, more technology based. More jobs require and use technology then ever before. If students get used to it in school, they will be better prepared for the real world. Zac Gorley
“What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?”
With technology being such a huge part of our world, and an important means of communication, it is crucial to integrate many forms of technology into the classroom. Many children these days have access to and experience with technology from a very young age. I have seen children as young as three years old know how to open the Internet, locate the “favorites” bar, and find web sites such as Play House Disney and American Girls. Children are also very apt to figuring out how to work digital cameras, cell phones, and other forms of technology that help to enhance our experiences both within a classroom setting and in life in general. Utilizing technology, such as email, websites, and classroom newsletters, can greatly enhance the communication lines between school and home. As a whole, I feel very strongly about utilizing many forms of technology when teaching and learning with my students.
“What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?”
I believe that technology has a place in the classroom in conjunction with teaching and learning but like many things it can be used in positive or negative ways. Technology in and of itself is not bad or good but how a teacher or student chooses to use various forms can determine what effect it may have; is it being used to further learning or to take the place of learning? Is technology being used as a babysitter? Does overuse of technology prevent students from developing certain skills? It is something to watch out for and be aware of for future teaching and learning. --Shannon Kimball--
I believe technology is an important part of teaching and learning. Students are growing up online today and it’s important for educators to be knowledgeable with technology. The use of modern technology also allows teachers to display a variety of images and information to students which allows for more variety in the classroom. Karen Adams
I think that technology can be a powerful tool to encourage and facilitate multiple facets of learning. It has the ability to become either a positive resource or a hindrance in the classroom. This distinction is often left up to the teacher. If technology is not analyzed in an effort to individually support learning or used as a crutch because of the teachers lack of enthusiasm for a particular curriculum it can become more of a problem than not.
Technology makes teaching a lot faster, because you do not always have to spend half your class time writing on a black board. That allows the teacher to devote more time to actual teaching and learning. Technology makes a lot of things possible that benefit teaching, and make learning more fun and interesting. In many classrooms, we can instantly access the internet and project the information for the students. We can present videos, pictures, and many other things in ways that were not possible when I was an elementary school student. Also, since technology is so integrated into society these days, it is good that children are exposed to it at school. Whenever possible, the teacher should instruct the students on the use of the latest technologies. The only down side is that by the time the students graduate from school, the technology they were using in class might be obsolete. - Shawn Parks
Having a Silicon Valley background, I’m very familiar with technology and its importance as a structured learning tool. While I consider myself a technology advocate, I haven’t formed any true beliefs about technology in the classroom.
Technology can be extremely helpful in the classroom. As a future teacher, I hope I am able to use technology to assist my students through many different learning activities. I believe that technology can be helpful in finding new material and new programs that can enhance learning. Using technology can help to make a lesson visually pleasing and can help to make a lesson hands on. Allowing students to use technology can broaden a student’s range of knowledge, allowing them to access tons of useful information online. While I support technology, I don’t always think it is entirely useful. Not everything you find online is correct and students may find false information without knowing it isn’t real. Also, technology can be distracting for some students, and some students do not have access to technology. So, allowing students to use technology can be tricky. For teachers, however, it is almost always helpful as long as it is used properly. - Lauren Brown
I believe that the sooner a child is exposed to technology the better. Technology in the classroom is a powerful tool, not only to help further the topics one is teaching, but also to help prepare students for working independently with technology in the future. In my personal experience, my family didn’t purchase a computer until I was in the eighth grade. I remember being embarrassed about having to use the school computer lab and my friends’ computers. I was especially self conscious about my lack of technological skills; as my friends “surfed” fluently, I was fumbling to follow basic directions. I think, that as educators, I is our responsibility to provide students with technological skills that they may otherwise not have access to.
I believe that all teachers should be familiar with technology so that they might be able to adequately teach students how to use technology in their studies. Given the high demand for technological skills in modern careers, I believe that it is ethically responsible to incorporate the use of technology into lesson plans to better prepare students for their future careers. Using teaching methods that incorporate the use of technology is a way in which teachers can model behaviors and skills that they might expect students to attain. Furthermore, encouraging students to utilize technology in their own endeavors will give them time to practice attaining those skills they might one day be required to use. With that in mind, it is also important to acknowledge the technological divide. There are vast differences among students’ level of access to technology and technological skills that they bring into the classroom. Teachers should be aware of these differences and should teach according to students’ strengths and access to tools. -Candice Catlin
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
I belief that teaching with technology is important. In order to give a student the tools they need to be competent and successful, we need to be integrating the use of technology into their lessons. However, not to the extent that basic skills such as handwriting and spelling become compromised. I heard recently that capitalizations and the use of punctuation may be on the road to extinction already, and I really would hate to see that happen. It is my aim to make sure that the students I teach learn these skills and will carry them on with them.
In addition, I feel that learning about technology can give students confidence about their abilities and place in the world outside of the classroom. I also think it is important to teach about using technology responsibly (ie; bullying, cursing, ect).
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
I believe that teaching and learning with technology is a necessity in our society. Our world has become dependant on computers, cell phones, the internet, and many other forms of technology. It is extremely important for teachers to learn, or at least be aware of the newest advances in order to teach them to students. I don’t think that technology should take over in the classroom, but various forms should be present and modeled on a regular basis. Students should learn as many forms of technology as they can. I feel that their professional futures will depend a great deal on how they can use technology. Most jobs rely on the technical skills of the employee regardless of the type of job. Learning how to use technology at a young will hopefully increase a student’s curiosity and willingness to learn new technical skills as they go through life. Jennifer Weber
Technology is such a critical asset in our lives today. We have arrived to an age where the world revolves around computers and technology in order to operate. I believe it will be extremely vital to use technology in the classroom with my students, as I am sure their lives will be more heavily impacted by technology in the future. With the use of the World Wide Web, we have been able to access a plethora of information. While, I would love to encourage my students to explore the tools available via the Internet, I will also advise them to take everything they read with a grain of salt. Whereas the Internet is readily available to any of those who seek to find information, it is also readily available to those who wish to post information which may not always pose a meaning of truth. Years ago we didn’t even think to worry about carrying a cell phone, or accessing a computer. Now we have almost become dependent on the use of technology. Therefore, I believe we should teach our students using a variety of different methods and styles so that students will not become heavily dependent upon the use of technology. All in all, the use of technology in the classroom will be a great tool for student learning. It will allow them to familiarize themselves with computers and software, as well as develop technical skills necessary for their future.
When I was in elementary school technology was the future. For computer work sections of the class would go to the library to use the schools six computers. While there we would play “Oregon Trail” or try typing a paragraph, an activity that would expose us to the technology. Now technology is so much more then just using the computer. It can’t be avoided. As a teacher it is important to realize that we need to know it so we can teach it to the future. I would like to put it off to the side and not really work at wrapping my brain around it. But if I can keep up with it, it will be more easily understandable when it gets even more advanced. Learning technology is important for us to be able to give it to our students but it is also important for all people as parts of society. Technology is how the society functions and will continue to get more and more complicated. But it will all provide us with opportunities to be more efficient and knowledgeable. Teaching technology should be a priority for all educators. Technology can be easily integrated into all curriculum areas. It is not necessary to integrate it in every lesson but to be aware of how much students are receiving and if it is beneficial or more distracting. In short technology is the future. There is no way to avoid it. To make life less complicated in the long run it is important to keep up with educational technology and how the future students will apply it to their lives. Alissa Dahl
18 comments:
I believe that teaching with innovative technologies and introducing children to technology in this day in age is extremely important. With everything going electronic it is important for youth to understand at least the basics, and be familiar with the pros and cons of technology.
I’m curious to know just how much technology is used in elementary schools today. When I was in school, I never saw a computer – with the exception of a home computer – until I was in middle school. Even then, the lab was used just as an option for students, and for students to take typing classes that were not required.
Teaching using technology can make things like lesson planning and presentations for teachers easier and quicker. It may also be easier for students to comprehend a lesson with the help of technology in limiting personal handwriting from a teacher, crummy white/chalk boards, as well as overheads.
I believe that teaching with innovative technologies and introducing children to technology in this day in age is extremely important. With everything going electronic it is important for youth to understand at least the basics, and be familiar with the pros and cons of technology.
I’m curious to know just how much technology is used in elementary schools today. When I was in school, I never saw a computer – with the exception of a home computer – until I was in middle school. Even then, the lab was used just as an option for students, and for students to take typing classes that were not required.
Teaching using technology can make things like lesson planning and presentations for teachers easier and quicker. It may also be easier for students to comprehend a lesson with the help of technology in limiting personal handwriting from a teacher, crummy white/chalk boards, as well as overheads. Jaymi Arlot
Things have changed so much since the last time I was in school as far as technology goes. PowerPoint and other technology have really improved how students can receive information. It is one more element to absorb lectures/lessons. As a learner, I think this is great. I am able to see what is being discussed and am better able to take notes and pay attention. As a teacher, I fully intend on using technology to enhance my student’s learning. In particular, I especially like the use of PowerPoint; however I am very open to learning new techniques, anything that will help my students. Jane Scott
I have mixed feelings about technology. On one hand you have information at the tip of your fingers, entertainment, networking with like minded people and an edge in the job market. On the other hand, how reliable is the information? Who is monitoring the entertainment? Why aren't kids outside playing? Computers are, and will be a part of society for a long time, it would be doing no service to children to not expose them to or help them build an ethical framework for how much and when to use computers. Kristy Filbin
I believe that teaching and learning with technology can be beneficial for both the student and the teacher. Technology gives the teacher more visual aids to work with that can keep students engaged in learning. It also opens up more resources for the teachers to meet a variety of learning styles. For the students, it helps them become adjusted to the world around them. Our world has become, and will continue to become, more technology based. More jobs require and use technology then ever before. If students get used to it in school, they will be better prepared for the real world. Zac Gorley
Emily Hempelmann-
“What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?”
With technology being such a huge part of our world, and an important means of communication, it is crucial to integrate many forms of technology into the classroom. Many children these days have access to and experience with technology from a very young age. I have seen children as young as three years old know how to open the Internet, locate the “favorites” bar, and find web sites such as Play House Disney and American Girls. Children are also very apt to figuring out how to work digital cameras, cell phones, and other forms of technology that help to enhance our experiences both within a classroom setting and in life in general. Utilizing technology, such as email, websites, and classroom newsletters, can greatly enhance the communication lines between school and home. As a whole, I feel very strongly about utilizing many forms of technology when teaching and learning with my students.
“What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?”
I believe that technology has a place in the classroom in conjunction with teaching and learning but like many things it can be used in positive or negative ways. Technology in and of itself is not bad or good but how a teacher or student chooses to use various forms can determine what effect it may have; is it being used to further learning or to take the place of learning? Is technology being used as a babysitter? Does overuse of technology prevent students from developing certain skills? It is something to watch out for and be aware of for future teaching and learning.
--Shannon Kimball--
I believe technology is an important part of teaching and learning. Students are growing up online today and it’s important for educators to be knowledgeable with technology. The use of modern technology also allows teachers to display a variety of images and information to students which allows for more variety in the classroom. Karen Adams
Jones Turner
I think that technology can be a powerful tool to encourage and facilitate multiple facets of learning. It has the ability to become either a positive resource or a hindrance in the classroom. This distinction is often left up to the teacher. If technology is not analyzed in an effort to individually support learning or used as a crutch because of the teachers lack of enthusiasm for a particular curriculum it can become more of a problem than not.
Technology makes teaching a lot faster, because you do not always have to spend half your class time writing on a black board. That allows the teacher to devote more time to actual teaching and learning. Technology makes a lot of things possible that benefit teaching, and make learning more fun and interesting. In many classrooms, we can instantly access the internet and project the information for the students. We can present videos, pictures, and many other things in ways that were not possible when I was an elementary school student. Also, since technology is so integrated into society these days, it is good that children are exposed to it at school. Whenever possible, the teacher should instruct the students on the use of the latest technologies. The only down side is that by the time the students graduate from school, the technology they were using in class might be obsolete.
- Shawn Parks
Paul C.
Having a Silicon Valley background, I’m very familiar with technology and its importance as a structured learning tool. While I consider myself a technology advocate, I haven’t formed any true beliefs about technology in the classroom.
Technology can be extremely helpful in the classroom. As a future teacher, I hope I am able to use technology to assist my students through many different learning activities. I believe that technology can be helpful in finding new material and new programs that can enhance learning.
Using technology can help to make a lesson visually pleasing and can help to make a lesson hands on. Allowing students to use technology can broaden a student’s range of knowledge, allowing them to access tons of useful information online.
While I support technology, I don’t always think it is entirely useful. Not everything you find online is correct and students may find false information without knowing it isn’t real. Also, technology can be distracting for some students, and some students do not have access to technology. So, allowing students to use technology can be tricky. For teachers, however, it is almost always helpful as long as it is used properly.
- Lauren Brown
Bailey DesRosier
I believe that the sooner a child is exposed to technology the better. Technology in the classroom is a powerful tool, not only to help further the topics one is teaching, but also to help prepare students for working independently with technology in the future. In my personal experience, my family didn’t purchase a computer until I was in the eighth grade. I remember being embarrassed about having to use the school computer lab and my friends’ computers. I was especially self conscious about my lack of technological skills; as my friends “surfed” fluently, I was fumbling to follow basic directions. I think, that as educators, I is our responsibility to provide students with technological skills that they may otherwise not have access to.
I believe that all teachers should be familiar with technology so that they might be able to adequately teach students how to use technology in their studies. Given the high demand for technological skills in modern careers, I believe that it is ethically responsible to incorporate the use of technology into lesson plans to better prepare students for their future careers. Using teaching methods that incorporate the use of technology is a way in which teachers can model behaviors and skills that they might expect students to attain. Furthermore, encouraging students to utilize technology in their own endeavors will give them time to practice attaining those skills they might one day be required to use.
With that in mind, it is also important to acknowledge the technological divide. There are vast differences among students’ level of access to technology and technological skills that they bring into the classroom. Teachers should be aware of these differences and should teach according to students’ strengths and access to tools.
-Candice Catlin
Courtney Larkin
June 16, 2008
T&L 521
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
I belief that teaching with technology is important. In order to give a student the tools they need to be competent and successful, we need to be integrating the use of technology into their lessons. However, not to the extent that basic skills such as handwriting and spelling become compromised. I heard recently that capitalizations and the use of punctuation may be on the road to extinction already, and I really would hate to see that happen. It is my aim to make sure that the students I teach learn these skills and will carry them on with them.
In addition, I feel that learning about technology can give students confidence about their abilities and place in the world outside of the classroom. I also think it is important to teach about using technology responsibly (ie; bullying, cursing, ect).
What are your beliefs about teaching and learning with technology?
I believe that teaching and learning with technology is a necessity in our society. Our world has become dependant on computers, cell phones, the internet, and many other forms of technology. It is extremely important for teachers to learn, or at least be aware of the newest advances in order to teach them to students. I don’t think that technology should take over in the classroom, but various forms should be present and modeled on a regular basis.
Students should learn as many forms of technology as they can. I feel that their professional futures will depend a great deal on how they can use technology. Most jobs rely on the technical skills of the employee regardless of the type of job. Learning how to use technology at a young will hopefully increase a student’s curiosity and willingness to learn new technical skills as they go through life.
Jennifer Weber
Technology is such a critical asset in our lives today. We have arrived to an age where the world revolves around computers and technology in order to operate. I believe it will be extremely vital to use technology in the classroom with my students, as I am sure their lives will be more heavily impacted by technology in the future.
With the use of the World Wide Web, we have been able to access a plethora of information. While, I would love to encourage my students to explore the tools available via the Internet, I will also advise them to take everything they read with a grain of salt. Whereas the Internet is readily available to any of those who seek to find information, it is also readily available to those who wish to post information which may not always pose a meaning of truth.
Years ago we didn’t even think to worry about carrying a cell phone, or accessing a computer. Now we have almost become dependent on the use of technology. Therefore, I believe we should teach our students using a variety of different methods and styles so that students will not become heavily dependent upon the use of technology.
All in all, the use of technology in the classroom will be a great tool for student learning. It will allow them to familiarize themselves with computers and software, as well as develop technical skills necessary for their future.
- Kristin Templet
When I was in elementary school technology was the future. For computer work sections of the class would go to the library to use the schools six computers. While there we would play “Oregon Trail” or try typing a paragraph, an activity that would expose us to the technology.
Now technology is so much more then just using the computer. It can’t be avoided. As a teacher it is important to realize that we need to know it so we can teach it to the future. I would like to put it off to the side and not really work at wrapping my brain around it. But if I can keep up with it, it will be more easily understandable when it gets even more advanced. Learning technology is important for us to be able to give it to our students but it is also important for all people as parts of society. Technology is how the society functions and will continue to get more and more complicated. But it will all provide us with opportunities to be more efficient and knowledgeable.
Teaching technology should be a priority for all educators. Technology can be easily integrated into all curriculum areas. It is not necessary to integrate it in every lesson but to be aware of how much students are receiving and if it is beneficial or more distracting.
In short technology is the future. There is no way to avoid it. To make life less complicated in the long run it is important to keep up with educational technology and how the future students will apply it to their lives. Alissa Dahl
Post a Comment