Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mini Lesson

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My teaching of the mini-lesson went fairly well. In the future, I would preface the lesson with a more comprehensive overview of what we would be accomplishing as a class. Also, I would demonstrate the use of the tool for the class (or have the template filled in, ready to show them, so they didn't have to watch me type). That way, they could get a general sense of what the finished product looked like before setting out on their own.

--Christine Parker

Unknown said...

In the mini lesson there were several things that went very well. I allowed the student to be in control of the computer and follow my verbal directions through the entire process. I think through having the student work their way through and have control of the mouse throughout the process; it allowed them to achieve the hands on practice necessary to repeat similar actions in the future. In the case that there would be one on one instruction, I would repeat the same lesson. However, if I was in a classroom setting with all students attempting to learn this process I would do it differently. In that situation, I believe it would be useful for students to follow along on their own computers while I demonstrated on an overhead monitor. This would allow students to gain the same experience and have a visual to go along with my verbal instructions.
-Corinne Lorch

Unknown said...

The pace of my teaching went very well. When the learner jumped ahead, I was able to correct the student by explaining why it was ineffective to jump ahead. Nevertheless, by having the learner jump ahead, I felt as though the lesson was clear and concise and the learner understood what she was to be doing. The learner did not feel rushed and was eager to move on to the next step. The changes I would make for next time are going to be to pay a lot closer attention to details and to make accommodations for any technical difficulties that might ensue. As an instructor, an important part of the teaching process is to always have a backup plan or to be able to think fast on your feet. In teaching a lesson step by step, it is critical that all the details be addressed and that they are correct. One glitch, such as using the wrong browser, might throw the whole class off balance and require backtracking that will prove to be time consuming.

-Natalie

Anonymous said...

I think that overall my lesson went pretty well. Stephanie was able to keep up with me every step of the way through the entire process which was nice. I also remembered all of the steps that needed to be included throughout my mini-lesson. One thing that I didn’t do that I saw other people do was to number the steps involved in the lesson. I instead bulleted all of mine and didn’t include numbers. I thought in some ways this would be easier for students to just glide through the steps but this could also be a problem because I won’t be able to just say “oh I see, you forgot to do step number ___” which in a lot of ways would simplify the process. There were several steps in the process for students to follow. I would most likely decide to show the students how they should go about making a link to their pages first and then going through it one more time with them. Afterwards, I would walk around the classroom to offer help to all of my students.
-Christina

Anonymous said...

I think that I did a good job with making sure that I covered all of the steps of how to find the worksheet and print it. I feel like a told the learner to exactly what was needed to successfully complete the task. I also feel like the learner had an opportunity to see an overview of the assignment and to start thinking about questions that they might have and what topic they would like to choose. I think that I would want to do a better job of making sure that I speak to the class like they are adults and allow them to ask questions if they don’t understand something. I think that I could have been more prepared for the lesson. I don’t think that I did a very good job letting the learner navigate through the webquest so she would feel confident in being able to access this information on her own. Tove

Unknown said...

Having an instruction plan was helpful in going through the mini-lesson instruction period. By matching step by step instructions with the correct web browser it was easy for my student to finish the lesson. What I should have done better was actually follow the instructions step by step instead of getting ahead of myself. When I did get ahead of myself I would sometimes skip a step then have to go back to the instructions. I did at the end of my instructions state why the mini-lesson was taking place and the objectives that were being sought. It would have been better if this had been said before the step by step instructions began. Students should know why they are doing something so that they can make sure they take away from the lesson what is important.

Fred Farmer

Anonymous said...

The mini-lesson went fairly well, although I feel I may have repeated myself a little too much. My student successfully learned ho w to save her worksheet for the WebQuest to her thumb drive, a task that would be performed if the students ran out of time in class and needed to save their file for continued use. However, the computer I was using did not recognize either thumb drive we put into it, so it was, in a way, a mock lesson. Next time I would be sure to give the lesson on a computer that is compatible with the thumb drive I intend, or the students intend, to use.

Kimberly Worrell

Anonymous said...

I think my numbered sequence of how to open and print from a hyper link were pretty well organized and explained. It was a simple process, but if one is not tech savvy then they may have difficulty with this task. My pace was slow enough that everyone could easily follow along, but not so slowly that there would be disruptions breaking out in the classroom. Next time, I need to make sure I have the right name of the printer before trying to teach the lesson. I felt foolish when I went to print and had the prong name in my instructions. Luckily, I modeled first and was able to change the printer name before my student tried on her own with the instructions. Another thing I would do is print out the instructions and have them handed out after I modeled so the students would not have to be two windows open at once while the students did their mini-lesson.

Stephanie Braunschweig

Anonymous said...

I think I was able to explain how to access the graphics organizer well. I could make several changes by being more detailed when describing the overall assignment, how we are going to use the graphics organizer and going through the graphics organizer with the students once it was printed. I also was not prepared for a different Word version as I wrote the instructions from my home computer, which has the old version of Word. Since the Word version was different, the printing was also not correct as I only have one printer connected to my computer and when printing from these computers you have to manually select the correct printer. I think letting the learner control the mouse would have helped them learn better by getting a more hands on approach to the process. Overall I do not feel like it went very well since there are many improvements I need to make for the next time.

-Sunny

Unknown said...

My mini lesson didn't go a smoothly as I had wanted. In the future I need to be sure what version of programs I will be working with and which printer is the right one and so forth. I put too much information into the steps and it made them harder to follow in bite size chucks as you can't see the document to read them when you have the print menu open. This means I needed to provide a handout to students who will be doing this mini lesson. it would be beneficial to the class if I walked through the steps on the projector to allow them to see what they are to do before they try it.
In a classroom setting students will be working at different paces and it would be beneficial to have student help other students that I can't get to right away allowing students to participate in the instruction as well as letting me work with students that are stumbling more or may be unfamiliar with the technology.
As far as what went well with my teaching even though it was wordy my learner was able to perform the task without my elaborating.
As far as changes are concerned I would need to have someone actually perform the task with my instructions outside of the classroom setting that way I see that the instructions are clear before presenting it to students. It would also be helpful to read the steps out load for students and have everyone work on this mini lesson and the same time allowing me to help students that need help and let student that are familair wiht the technology already move on and help others

Michael Wareham