Thursday, January 28, 2010

Scaffolding

“How can scaffolding support the student learning process in your WebQuest?”

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that having charts for students to work on will be the most helpful in my WebQuest. Students will be working with the template to record information about what they have seen on the television as far as commercials and the news so that they can create a list of what they see and how these affect racial diversity as a whole. In the end, students will do a presentation which I think the invisible slide layout could be very beneficial for students to use if they choose to create a Power Point. The brochure layout is also much easier to use than when I was in high school (which wasn’t very long ago). The simple layouts would be helpful for students who choose to do a brochure or any other project using Microsoft Word Office. However, I still think posters are a good option whether they decide to create them digitally or by hand. I like giving students lots of options. The scaffolding is really helpful for giving a plethora of ideas for the students to create a project that looks clean and professional. Digital projects are also easier for me because then I don’t have to worry about taking a lot of paperwork home on the weekends. I can just have students submit their electronic presentation materials as well as an outline. This creates a lot less headache for me and makes work a lot easier for them.
Students also benefit by learning how to use technology in the classroom. The technology used in the classroom can help them to build a portfolio for job searching that will give them an upper hand. Most jobs these days are technology based and use computers in some sort of fashion, so by having them use computers to create pieces of work will help set them up for a bright future.
-Christina Snyder

Anonymous said...

“How can scaffolding support the student learning process in your WebQuest?”

Scaffolding will provide students with template to help them get started and organize their thought, ideas, and projects. This will be true in the WebQuest. The WebQuest can be overwhelming, but with the use of scaffolding, we (teachers) will be aiding students to success. I think most students want to do well, but when they get overwhelmed they give up. This will help diminish students desire to give up and foster a desire to succeed. Scaffolding will also help the teacher grade, because it will easier to navigate through larger projects. So it really is a win-win situation for both the student and the teacher. I knew this technique existed; I just didn’t know what it is called. I also didn’t know how many templates were available to teachers to make the act of scaffolding fairly easy for us. Because it isn’t very time consuming, teachers will be more likely to engage in scaffolding which will in turn, make students more successful in the projects we assign. What student wouldn’t engage in an activity that is also designed to save them time?

Stephanie Braunschweig

Unknown said...

Scaffolding can help the students learning process in my WebQuest through guiding them in their information gathering. Through setting up an assisted note taking document, the students will be able to know what they should focus on in each of the provided videos. This will not only allow them to gather the necessary information from each source but also provide them with an ordered and summarized outline of their paper. Having this tool available should increase their learning through focusing their attention and organizing a large complex process into an easily read table.
-Corinne

Anonymous said...

My WebQuest will ask students to write letters to the editor in response to an editorial or letter they have read in the newspaper. First, we will have an in-class discussion about current topics covered in editorial pages, and they can brainstorm for five minutes following the discussion about topics that may interest them. Then, after they choose the specific editorial piece to which they will be writing their response, I will provide them with a flowchart to use to organize their thoughts. It may include both responses in favor of and opposing the issue, or I may need to design two separate flowcharts depending on a positive or negative response. Finally, I can use hidden text in Word to assist them with the correct format for a polite yet persuasive letter to the editor.

--Christine Parker

Anonymous said...

How can scaffolding support the student learning process in your Webquest?
In my Webquest I could use scaffolding to support my students learning by providing them with the structure of the assignments they will be completing. If I was going to have them publish something I could use a hidden text document to allow students to work on their assignment while still being able to support them with individual help if they don’t understand the instructions.
In each section of my Webquest I could incorporate scaffolding to replace the need to have handouts, It would also allow the class to proceed at their own pace allowing for the teacher to help students at their own pace because the instructions for each step in the process is embed in the assignment.
Students could proceed at their own pace while allowing students that need extra help to get it without slowing the progress of the class down.

Micahel Wareham

Unknown said...

Scaffolding can support the student learning process in my WebQuest by allowing students to better organize their thoughts and ideas. Since my WebQuest is centered on a collaborative project that involves an in-depth process, compressing separate smaller assignment chunks into a bigger, final project, students will need a way to keep all parts of the assignment organized, especially since they are going to be working in groups of three to five. I would like to provide my students with dialogue charts on which they can jot down notes and engage in discussion regarding the final outcomes for their project. Organization is going to be a key feature is my classroom and students are going to have to be able to master it in order to come up with an effective and manageable final project. The final project involves putting five pieces of writing centered around a common theme together—the writing pieces have to be finalized by the group before being put into a children’s literature book, employing various literary devices that the group members are to effectively address. Scaffolding will allow the students to remain on track and to put forth all of their ideas, deciding which direction to pursue in their final project.

-Natalie

Unknown said...

How can scaffolding support the student learning process in your WebQuest?
My WebQuest assignment requires several steps for the student to perform in a specific order to solve a problem. Scaffolding can help them to perform these steps in the correct order , so that they can get the desired outcome. It will also help them to make sure that they don’t leave out any critical steps while they are performing the process. The EALR’s in this area of mathematics are very specific in the accuracy of students work. Scaffolding will help insure that all of the steps required inthis process will be covered.
Rick Bay

Anonymous said...

Scaffolding can support the student learning process in my WebQuest by giving clear directions for everything that they need to do. This will also make my life easier because I won’t have to re-explain directions and how tasks will be graded. Scaffolding is an important tool to use because it gives students a starting place. I think that a lot of students have a hard time getting ideas and knowing where to start. Hopefully, with what is given in the WebQuest, they will have a clear idea of what is expected of them and give them several ideas of where to start and how to proceed effectively. Students will also be able to understand ideas and concepts that I am trying to teach. I think that this will not only help students stay on task, but it will also help me know what I am doing and what else I will need to do.
Tove

Anonymous said...

Scaffolding can support the student learning process in my WebQuest because I will be providing step by step instructions as to what the assignment is and I will be providing websites for them to use as resources. This will allow them to focus on what they need to do for the assignment rather than waste time searching the internet for resources. It will also be easier for them to be on task and just focusing on the step by step instructions. The grading rubric will also help keep them focused because it will tell them everything they need to do to complete the project. We will also have a lesson before the assignment is given out so that they have a better understanding of the material they will be doing their project on.

Sunny

Unknown said...

Scaffolding will help give a framework to help assist and guide the student along through the assignment. The end assignment will be entirely the students, but the scaffolding helps the student along when they don’t know what to do next. We all run into the same problem of knowing what our end project should be like, but don’t always know how to get there. A lot of time can be wasted struggle in this stage. With proper scaffolding we can make the most use of our time and the student’s. Students will continue to have to think for themselves, feel like they themselves accomplish the goal, and the teacher can be satisfied with a productive learning period.

Fred F.

Anonymous said...

Scaffolding can really add to student learning by giving the student a place to start. It can be quite useful for a student to understand what the assignment is actually asking, and where to begin. Some student s just need a little nudge out of the starting gate, and others need help along the entire way. Scaffolding helps both of these kinds of students. I think that hidden text is a wonderful way to help get your students organized and keep them on task. What a great tool! Also, adding flow charts can really be beneficial in helping students think through processes in order to come up with an answer to a question that works. There are so many ways that scaffolding can be integrated into class assignments.

Kimberly Worrell