Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mini Lesson

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This lesson/assignment was helpful for me in establishing how I will teach technology in my classroom. A real key for me will becoming familiar with the technology that I actually have in my classroom or that exists in the school labs. Familiarity will really help me to specify my instructions and be certain that they are applicable to technology that the students are learning. While I won't be able to cover all cases for every technology the students may have access to at home, ensuring that my lessons are consistent with classroom technology will be important to establish the trust and respect of my students.

Bryan Schmidt

Anonymous said...

The mini-lesson went smoothly. One of the challenges was adjusting to the process using the college campus computers, which was different than the process from my home computer. I realized I needed to be versatile and experienced enough to quickly make these changes. In a real class-room setting, I would make sure that at least one experienced student was at each table. Also, the ability to project my example on a screen that is visible to the entire class would help expedite things.

Elaine Califf

Travis said...

I think that this lesson was helpful in indentfying where my process worked and where it needed some refinements. It also showed me what technology I would need to have in a real classroom situation in order to be effective with this lesson. I think that the range of experience within my class will allow me to let some work on their own with the instructions provided and will free me up to help those that are less comfortable with computers.

Travis Harwood

Unknown said...

"What went well in your teaching? Based on what you learned as an instructor, what changes would you make next time?"

I learned that I need to run through the process by myself to make sure my instructions are clear and correct. Having a Mac at home and a PC in class can sometimes cause confusion. I also need to make sure I have my students' attention before beginning the lesson and ask questions along the way. Overall, I think the lesson went well. Ruhiyyih Shelayev

Cody Mac said...

What went well: I maintained a steady pace, which is key to keeping the students interested and on track. However, what I need to remember is to make a strong connection between the act of saving files and the importance of saving files to the webquest or other assignments. Also, I would make sure that all the students were on the same page when it came to word processing technology that they had access to, and if there was much deviation, I would ensure flexibility and alter my instruction accordingly.

Rebecca said...

I liked this lesson and found it very helpful. It was not too simple. I chose the skill of printing. It was good for me to pick something as simple as printing and break it into steps. I think this provided me with a good template that I can refer to in the future. I got the basic idea of how to teach a technical skill and can now apply this knowledge to simple and complex technical skills I will teach in the future. Rebecca Kehn

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I was really nervous before I presented my mini lesson because I did not know who my partner would be and I did not know quite what to anticipate as far as how clear my instructions would be. Luckily, I had a great partner (John) who swiftly followed my instructions and successfully completed the task provided.

I realize that with my future students that I will need to be flexible and perhaps make changes to my instruction while I am giving it. Which is okay with me. This experience was yet another opportunity for me to practice giving instruction to a task that some students may find to be quite basic, while others might struggle through the whole thing.

Jessica

Anonymous said...

This was interesting because it showed how easy this type of teaching would be if the whole class had access to a computer. Many schools have computer rooms, and when I take my students there I would walk them through this process. The questions that arise should be minmal in this case and the understandings achieved by the students would be sufficient to the task. Without the use of a computer for each student or group this lesson would be harder to impart, but the power-point style of printout with the screen shots printed bside the instructions would be a good way to give the students instructions they could take into the computer lab (or home, or group computer) with them when they are ready to actually begin the WebQuest.

John Knudsen

J. M. Tanner said...

I would say that my lesson was successful overall. The understanding that my "student" demonstrated during the lesson gave me a good idea that my descriptions were adequate in relaying the information and steps necessary to accomplish the learning goals (saving properly and safely removing jump drives). The pace wasn't too fast and the instructional strategies were helpful through the communication of why this skill was important to know (according to the learner). I think I may want to try this on a class that may have a little less experience with a computer or the Microsoft Office programs due to the fact that my learner's background knowledge may have affected how well she responded to my instructions. My instructions may have been sub-par and I wouldn't know it due to simple familiarity with the medium. Also, I think doing this lesson in front of a large group would be interesting in the sense that I could demonstrate the skill before teaching it, giving the students an opportunity to familiarize themselves with the process.

-Justin

Anonymous said...

This mini-lesson was helpful in creating a situation where I was required to fully explain everything I did. When it comes to technology, you can miss one step and be lost. It's important to remember your students may need more time when learning a new skill on computers. Having a handout with the steps highlighted would have been helpful for this assignment.

-Shantel-

Rebecca said...

Oh I guess I forgot to talk about what went well in my teaching. I liked having the steps in front of me and in front of the learner. I think we as teachers can not underestimate handouts as teaching tools (they really ground what we are teaching in the tangible). I felt that I was relaxed and confident about teaching this skill because I went through the process before hand. I guess I went too fast so next time I will slow down. Rebecca Kehn

Anonymous said...

I feel that my lesson went well for the most part. I did hit a little bump when the process of opening a file provided different options on this computer than on the computer I used to create the lesson. Because of that, I had to change my instructions on the spot in order for the learner to learn and accomplish the task. In the future, I will be ready for every possiblity and if able, I will run through the process using the exact computer ahead of time.

Kelsey Aske

Anonymous said...

In teaching my mini lesson I felt like I had very clear and concise steps for the students. I started from the very beginning of opening the webquest site and went through every step until the student had their own hard copy of the think-pair-share worksheet. While it was a very simple skill to teach, it gives my students the necessary skills for future research such as accessing and printing articles.
In the future I feel that I would slow down in moving through each step of the mini lesson. With a classroom full of students I will not be able to see their computer screens and know that they are keeping up with each step. Slowing down will allow me to confirm with all the students that I have not gotten too far ahead of them. Also it may be useful for me to find examples of the icons that the students are going to be looking for, in case they may not be familiar with what a “printer” icon looks like.

Barret Schwerin

Unknown said...

My student was interested in what I was saying. I've been thinking about taking out that part of my WebQuest, but have decided otherwise. I've already improved the online instructions a bit (after previously removing them, then restoring them). I'm sure I can still make it quite a bit clearer than it is now.
Ben Allinger

CMcCully said...

The process of printing during my lesson went well, however, the student was confused as to why and what we were printing. During my lesson, I will make sure that my students know why and what we are printing. This will make the learning process go that much more smooth during the lesson, and students will understand the importance of what is being taught, and what are the learning target goals of the lesson.

Anonymous said...

This lesson went fairly well. I have taught other lessons, but this was my first in teaching a technical skill, and I learned the dynamic is quite different. In this particular lesson I was able to teach the skill one-on-one, which is very helpful for teaching computer skills. However, in a normal classroom I will either have no computers or very little of them for the students. Therefore, I will have to rely on the overhead/projector to teach the skill to numerous students. Instead of them each having their own computer, they can take notes on the lesson, or get in groups to try it on the few computers that may be in the class. The best thing I can do in the future for such lessons is just getting more familiear with technology myself, as well as learning from my mistakes in previous lessons. With rapid changing technology, who knows- maybe my students will even teach me some things :)

Warrior Dani said...

My student understood the lesson. He was able to complete the tasks of adding and deleting slides from an existing PowerPoint Presentation.

Because I was working with him one-on-one, I would have to make some changes to adapt this to a whole class.

I think one thing I would do is model the skill first so that students would have to pay full attention before moving on. I would then be better able to help students as questions arise, since some students will likely be able to complete the task without one-on-one guidance.

I would also allow students to use their own Power-Point presentations in an effort to make the lesson more personally meaningful to them. Being able to apply the changes to a project that they're currently involved in, students will be able to see how they can use this learned skill in the future as well as their present projects.

This lesson is also short enough that it could be used with a small group of students who were unfamiliar with these concepts in a class where the majority of the students already understand these skills and could be working on something else.

Danielle M

Alyse said...

Next time I teach this lesson, or any technology lesson maybe, I would probably break the class down into groups. The lesson went well but I could see how it would quickly go awry with 20 or 30 learners trying to follow along. Breaking the class down into groups would allow me to tailor my lesson for the students individually rather than hope they all got it. I also think I will build in a better assessment.

Levi Schultz said...

My lesson went well until Google Earth started acting up. It turns out, however, that since I was only using Google Earth to open a Google Map in order to save the file and submit it to the Digital Drop box, I was able to just email the Google Map to her instead.

Anonymous said...

The Mini-Lesson went fine. It clearly is important to practice the lesson in exactly the same technology environment that the students will be in, or you will definitely have little errors that will throw the students off and cause them to fall behind and the whole class to lose its flow. Just little things like on Microsoft’s print driver, to initiate printing you hit the “OK” button, on most other OSes, you hit the “Print” button, etc. Selecting print drivers and printers can also be very confusing (and paper wasting). Technology can have many productivity enhancements for learning, just want to make sure is doesn’t get in the way of learning (i.e. causing students to get all warped around the technology and miss the learning content). Always make sure there are a few tech savvy students that can help the others.

Scott Koss